Saturday, April 3, 2010

Acting or Crew

I went to my friend's church (City Harvest Church, Sunway) last night to attend the Good Friday service and watch their Easter production. I wanted to bring my camera along to capture some moments but I thought it wouldn't be appropriate so I left my camera in the car. By the end of it I regretted for not bringing my camera along coz photography was allowed and I would have great photos to show here.

The church was packed with over a thousand people, worship service was GREAT, the production was AWESOME and the alter call response was AMAZING!! I've never felt like this in a LOOOOOONG time.

My friend posted a status update about the service on FB and another friend of mine asked him whether he was acting or part of the crew. I wanted to comment on this question on FB but what I had to say was too long so I decided to comment here.

My comment is this:

In a production, only an X amount of people could be the actors and actresses on stage. Even a huge London West End Broadway production can't be having thousands of performers on stage. So it's not a big deal if my friend was not one of the actors on stage.

I think that will automatically make the rest of the non-acting church members the CREW. That's because everybody will have a role to play to make an event a successful one. Some may have extra roles like being part of the Worship Crew, Security Crew, Usher Crew, F&B Crew, Videography & Photography Crew, Counselling Crew and etc. But most would be part of the Bringing Friends Crew.

I would categorize my friend and his uncle as part of the Bringing Friends Crew simply because they brought friends. I can assure you that the friends they brought last night didn't go home empty handed. They (including myself) went home with Christ very much alive in their hearts. Isn't that the MOST important and also the ONLY objective for it all?

To me, being a Christian is simply doing God's will and introducing Christ to others. It SHOULD NOT be about being in the spotlight. It SHOULD NOT be about being glamour and popular. Isn't it ALL for the glory of God? Since WHEN do we have to be on centrestage or part of the cool "crew" then we are considered to be "doing something" for God? I thought "doing something" for God could be as simple as bringing a friend to church?

If the friend we brought to church found Christ, that would be GREAT and a BIG AMEN to that. But if he/she doesn't, that does NOT make us a failure or a loser. The seed is planted and we just have to play our part by watering it with prayer. God didn't ask us to compete about how many friends we saved.

I hope I'm not offending anybody but if I'm missing a point here, can somebody enlighten me?

So, why ask - "What did you do?? Acting or crew?"?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW.....!!!!! Mature Christian thinking...! One cant be on milk throughout their lives.Are we still babes after all these years ? "Forever hearing (what is one hearing)but not listening." Well said Ai Ling!

Yetti said...

True what you said. But its only a question no? I didn't think the need to be sensitive and explain the whole damn thing was necessary.

Ai Ling said...

Well, thanks for commenting, Yetti. But this is my personal blog space and I think I have the freedom to write what I want and feel as long as I'm not quoting names.

If what I write here is indirectly hitting others where it hurts, then that's too bad.

Yetti said...

Well, i'm only commenting because you said "can somebody enlighten me."

I was just stating what I felt. That you did not have to take offense. I mean, it obviously was just a simple question right? I just think you need to see that not everybody is out to get you.

Anonymous said...

You can say things that make you sound like you're a "mature christian" but it all comes down to whether you are one or not. Seriously though, if you're so Christian, why would you get so annoyed that you post up a whole long thing explaining the diff between cast and crew. Sorry, but I think that's plain dumb

Ai Ling said...

All comments on my blog space are welcome, irregardless good or bad. I did not once said I was a "mature Christian" and I didn't say I am so Christian. I'm just writing it at my point of view. Some may agree and some may not. Everything written here is not meant to please anybody. This space is just for me to think out loud.

Constructive comments are always welcome. But if the comments are intended to humiliate or to criticize, then it's a waste of time. It will not offend me in any way but will only increase the traffic to my blog and that's to my benefit.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Odd that some ppl have gotten sensitive over this...it's very clear that only the ppl associated with this incident would attack the writer over this...and to do it over at the blog so that their identity remains anonymous is plain cowardice...but judging from the last remark that the statement 'is plain dumb', I have kinda of figured out who this person is...plain pathetic if you ask me...keep writing what's true ai ling... some ppl have to just grow up!
Danny via FaceBook

Victor said...

Hi Ailing,

Great stuff.. I really enjoy reading your blog esp this one.. "Acting or Crew". I don;t know why some people are being oversensitive about this issue as for me it something that remind me that everyone of us is important to Him no matter how big or small role we are involved. Take it positively, I am sure there is something everyone can benefit from this blog. Thanks Ailing keep writing.. love to hear somemore stories from u..

Anonymous said...

I cant seem to find the reason why would anybody wanna attack the writer of the blog for posting up HER PERSONAL VIEWS AND OPINIONS. And besides, advance apologies is maid when she said she don't mean to offend anyone.

Good work Ai Ling. I totally agree with you and understand where you coming from. I mean, the production is not some broadway musical or some hollywood production. For fux sake, its a CHURCH production. A production for worshipers and to spread the teaching of Christ. You dont have to and SHOULDN'T be into the whole glamor and fame thingy when doing such productions. It isnt that hard to understand isnt it??? Oh well, i agree with Danny. Its obvious who the person is. And who is the one still on milk =)

Keep writing girl......

-M-

Anonymous said...

Sorry....Typo on the first para....It should be "MADE"...NOT "Maid".....My bad....Heheheheheheh....Dont laugh Ai Ling!!!!!

-M-

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh I see Wowwwwww What a good Explanation from a simple Question of being an actor or being part of the crew came to such a huge elaboration....GOOD JOB!
i am so impressed.. you Guys are amazing ...