Thursday, February 25, 2010

Job Hunting...*sigh*

It is definitely NOT an easy task. Only the strong could withstand such challenge. Though to some people, whom I would like to call the "Mary Poppins Clan", just a snap and it's done. How I wish I was categorized under that group of people but unfortunately I'm not. *double sigh*

I've been performing this task for 2 months and it seems like FOREVER! I'm sitting at home most of my days, faced glued to my laptop screen, fingers stuck to the keypad and mouse not because I was busy FBing, but screening all the job hunting sites. I think I'm beginning to grow mushrooms on my head, moss on my skin and roots on my bum and the bottom of my feet.

Some of you may be wondering, why on earth did I leave my previous job without a new job in hand? It's complicated and it's not like I had a choice. No, I was not fired... I'm just not happy where I was anymore. My fire of passion was dying and I no longer have the strength to fan it nor the fuel to feed it. I was mentally and emotionally drained. On the day I tendered my resignation after 7 long years, someone scoffed at my ability to secure a job within a month's time. That actually made me even more definite about my decision. Though job hunting is difficult, I have no regrets for leaving my previous job.

As I described to my friend earlier, job hunting now is like buying a lottery. We placed our bets on all the available betting stations, Magnum 4D, Da Ma Cai and Sports Toto, hoping that if not all, at least one would bring us a little bit of hope. Funny isn't it?

One of the reason why I stayed so long in the previous company was because I really dislike the job hunting process: printing of numerous copy of my resume, filling up application forms each time I attend an interview, being asked almost the same questions over and over again, being asked to wait for their phone call, sitting at home hoping to receive a phone call bearing good news and multiple disappointments.

After attending a substantial amount of interviews, these are my findings:
  • I seriously do not understand why we need to fill up application forms (with limited writing space) when all the required information is clearly written and elaborated in the resume.
  • Most people find it SHOCKING when we leave a company after such a long period of employment without securing a new job first.
  • People these days have no courtesy to call when they promised to do so. I think it's only fair that we are informed whether or not we are successful.
My requirements are so simple:
  • Locations: Puchong will be the best (coz it's near to home) / Sunway / Subang / Shah Alam / PJ / Damansara / Bangsar / Bukit Jalil / Old Klang Road
  • 5-days work (Mon-Fri) / 1/2 day on Saturdays will be considered too.
  • Don't mind moderate amount of travelling.
  • Doesn't require me to work late all the time, Sundays and Public Holidays.
Not too much to ask for, right? What do you think? Well, the hunt goes on... I pray that the hunt will end real soon coz it's really tiring. My dear family and friends, please pray for me or I'll soon grow enough mushrooms to have a Mushroom Banquet.


No comments: