Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blood Donation

Today I've donated blood for the 5th time since 2003 with 2 failed attempts in between. When I checked my little red book, I found out that I'm entitled to a free Hepatitis B jab. I wonder if it's free for all 3 doses or just 1... I think I need to find this out because Hepatitis B jabs can be quite pricey.

My mom is so against me donating my blood. Whenever she sees a bruise on my arm, she'll know that I donated blood and she'll freak out. Well, she's just worried that I may get infected during the process and after a blood donation, my health may be affected.

My blood group, O positive, a universal donor. That means I could donate blood to individuals of any ABO blood group (ie A, B, O or AB) but sad to say that a group O individual can receive blood ONLY from a group O individual. The friend that accompanied me today is an AB blood group, the total opposite of mine. A selfish donor but a universal recipient.

I personally think blood donation is a selfless act and should be encouraged to all who are healthy and able. Statistic shows that 1 donation could save up to 3 lives. The blood bank should be well stocked as we will never know when we or our loved ones may require a blood transfusion. Besides, some people are prone to iron overload and blood donation prevents the accumulation of toxic quantities. And as for the men in particular, donating blood may reduce the risk of heart disease.

If you're interested to be a blood donor, do check out the following link for further information:

No comments: