Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Career Path

2.15pm

I'm here sitting in Hailam Kopitiam, 3 Two Square, PJ, waiting for my 3pm job interview at SK Brothers Realty. Some of you may be wondering, why the heck did I apply for a real estate job... Well, like I mentioned in my earlier blog, "Job Hunting", I've placed my bets in all betting stations and now I've hit the consolation prize. And guess what? I'm not so happy about it nor am I excited about it. It's the curiosity that got the best of me.  I'm not really a sales person to begin with and I just decided to apply for the Corporate Sales Executive/Negotiator anyway.

This morning's interview was worst! When they called me, they mentioned something about being from some Consultation company of some sort and they ensured me that the position was not related to insurance nor mutual fund. I should have known better when I was given the address, Menara GE (Great Eastern). When the lift door opens at 6th Floor, true enough it is somehow related to Great Eastern. I was very disappointed coz having to drive all the way from my home in Puchong down to Jalan Ampang for the 11am interview only to discover that the actual company was GREAT EASTERN!!! I was cursing myself... WTF???

Since I was already there, I just braced myself and just sit through the entire interview with the least interested (of course I do not show it on my face). Two men were actually trying to convince me that the product is great and how this career can change my life. The information that shocked me was this job comes with ZERO basic salary, ZERO allowances and ZERO claims but VERY HIGH commission when I consistently close 1 deal every month. My brains were like screaming... HELLO???? I can't live with ZERO basic salary.... NOT at this point of my life!

2.50pm
I'll have to continue this post later coz it's time for the 3pm interview...

6.30pm

The interview with SK Brothers Realty ended at 5.30pm and I'm currently at my godbrother's house waiting for him to come back, my housemate to come over and then have dinner together. The interviewer was patiently explaining to me about life in real estate, the unlimited amount of money you can earn, the exciting challenges and etc. I have to agree, the $$$ part is extremely attractive BUT... to start off, I have to be able to sustain with minimum income of about RM500 before I start closing deals. Now THAT is a problem for me. I NEED a basic salary!!!

When I was younger and single, I WAS looking for a career. Now that I'm older and married, I'm looking for a job where I could earn a decent income to provide for my family and not be a financial burden to hubby and family. I'm not interested to climb the corporate ladder and I'm more interested in becoming a GREAT mummy and a wife. This may seem silly to some but not to me.

To me my mom, a housewife, is a very successful person and a GREAT role model to me coz over the years, she's successfully brought up not only 4 decent daughters but also my cousins (say I if you were one of them), my uncles and my aunts (during my mom's younger days when my grandparents were busy working to provide for the family). Being a mom is a lifetime career. You just cannot resign and call it quits. It's the MOST challeging job in the world! To all the moms out there, I salute you and keep up the great work that you're already doing.

So, to conclude, I think the simple things in life gives me the most satisfaction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

joeyee likes this!